I mentioned this hearing here, because I’d like you to be thinking about this tool all during the juvenile court process. Theoretically, it cannot be used until after the dispositional hearing; therefore, I mention it now.

This is a petition that ANY PERSON can file asking the judge to change a prior court order, and alleging that it would be in the best interests of the children. This petition seems like a somewhat simple form to complete, but its subtleties are complex in most situations.

The typical person using this tool, is a parent who wants the children returned home sooner than the next court hearing. But it’s also used by relatives to have children moved from foster care to the relative home. I’ve seen it used by minors’ attorneys and social workers to remove children from a certain placement. I’ve seen it used by non-relatives to place children in their homes. I’ve seen it used by parents to stop the termination of their parental rights, and to stop an eventual adoption. The uses are endless, and only limited by the imagination.

If a 388 petition is filed, the court may do one of two things: grant the petition, and set it for a hearing; or deny the petition.

If the petition is denied, you have the right to appeal this decision, immediately.

If the petition is granted, the court can have a hearing on the petition in a variety of ways, all within the discretion of the judge.

The court could set a full evidentiary hearing.

The court could set a hearing where the judge will just listen to oral argument by the attorneys, or any combination thereof.

I once was involved in a 388 petition hearing, where the judge required everyone to submit testimony by written declaration; and then only allowed limited oral argument by the attorneys. This is interesting, because it shows the varieties of ways a 388 hearing can be conducted.

Always consult with an attorney before filing a 388 petition; and always have an attorney represent you in that proceeding. Too many things can happen where legal expertise may be needed.

When you talk to me, Vincent W. Davis, you can be sure of one thing, that I am listening. Child Protective Services (CPS or DCFS) and your accusers have their story, and it is our job to make sure that your story is heard and we keep your family together. If your kids or grand-kids have already been taken, we will find the best and fastest way to reunite your family.

Call me personally - 888-888-6582 - I am waiting to hear your story now, to defend you and keep your family together or reunite you and your precious loved ones.

We Are Your Juvenile Dependency Lawyers and we are proud to serve    Los Angeles,   Orange,   Riverside,   San Bernardino , Ventura, and  San Diego Counties.

Email: v.davis@vincentwdavis.com

Juvenile Dependency Attorney Locations

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (626)-446-6454

Beverly Hills Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (888) 888-6582

La Mirada Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Los Angeles Office
Gas Company Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Long Beach Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Irvine Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (949)-203-3972

Ontario Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761
Phone:(888) 888-6582

Riverside Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 Pierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (888) 888-6582

San Diego
Emerald Plaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Aliso Viejo
Ladera Corporate Terrace
999 Corporate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Comments are closed.

Juvenile   Dependency   ResourcesIf you or a family member are facing off with Child Protective Services, Vincent W. Davis is here to help!

View More Resources

Contact   Us — Juvenile   Dependency   Lawyers   —   Vincent   W.   Davis   &   Associates

Please fill out all fields and an DCFS CPS attorney will contact you.