Relative Caretakers and Non Relative CaretakersScreen Shot 2014-12-11 at 3.06.15 PM

(Foster Parents) Are Entitled to Substantial Legal Rights In Juvenile Dependency Court

I was recently contacted by a Foster Parent, a non-relative caretaker, of a child for about 18 months.  (The same analysis would apply if it was a relative caretaker.) She was concerned that the right thing wasn’t being done for the child in the Juvenile Dependency Court.  She had been told by the county social worker that she did not have a right to the child and did not have a right to inform anyone of what was happening with the child.  Specifically, the social worker informed her that it was the social worker’s responsibility to report things to the court and the attorneys. 

I asked her what was it that she wanted to communicate to the court about, and she informed me that the social worker had found a distant relative, in another state, and that the social worker and her supervisor had decided to move the child to the relative’s home.

The foster parent was concerned because a relationship and bond had been formed between her family and the baby; and that the child had never met this distant relative.  Specifically, she was concerned that moving the child at this point in time would cause some psychological and emotional damage to the child.  She expressed this to the social worker, but had a feeling the social worker would not communicate this to judge or the other attorneys.

The foster parent wanted to know could anything be done?  The answer is yes, yes, and yes!

The first thing the foster parent should do would be to file a motion for de facto status and file a Welfare and Institutions Code 388 petition to prevent this from happening.  The law in California defines a de facto parent as “that person who, on a day-to-day basis assumes the role of parent, seeking to fulfill both the child’s physical needs and psychological need for affection and care.”  The California Rules of Court define de facto parent as “a person who has been found by the court to have assumed, on a day-to-day basis, the role of parent, fulfilling both the child’s physical and psychological needs for care and affection, and who has assumed that role for a substantial period.”

If a court grants the motion to be a de facto parent, that person now has “standing” in the juvenile court.  In other words, the person has the same, or close to the same, rights as a parent.  The important things in this case, would be the right to be in court, the right to be represented by counsel, the right to present evidence; and in the present case, the right to keep the child in lieu of the child being moved to the distant relative in another state.  It would be the same, if the social worker were trying to return the child to the parent/s. 

The person making the request can be the Current or Previous caretaker.  Sometimes children are removed from the foster parent before s/he can file her motions and requests with the judge.  The California Appellate Court in Christina K., (1986) 184 Cal.App.3d 1463, has directed all Juvenile judges to give serious consideration to any foster parent’s request for standing.

I recently became aware of another case, similar to one above.  In that case, the trial judge in Monterey Park ordered the child removed from a long term caretaker and foster parent.  The Foster Parent appealed this decision.  The appellate court reversed the trial judge, and ordered that the child not be moved from the Foster Parent’s home, to the relative in another state.

If you are a relative or a non-relative, foster parent, please give us a call for a free consultation.

Vincent W Davis

Trial Lawyer


When you talk to me, Vincent W. Davis, you can be sure of one thing, that I am listening. Child Protective Services (CPS or DCFS) and your accusers have their story, and it is our job to make sure that your story is heard and we keep your family together. If your kids or grand-kids have already been taken, we will find the best and fastest way to reunite your family.

Call me personally - 888-888-6582 - I am waiting to hear your story now, to defend you and keep your family together or reunite you and your precious loved ones.

We Are Your Juvenile Dependency Lawyers and we are proud to serve    Los Angeles,   Orange,   Riverside,   San Bernardino , Ventura, and  San Diego Counties.


Juvenile Dependency Attorney Locations

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (626)-446-6454

Beverly Hills Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (888) 888-6582

La Mirada Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Los Angeles Office
Gas Company Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Long Beach Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Irvine Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (949)-203-3972

Ontario Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761
Phone:(888) 888-6582

Riverside Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 Pierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (888) 888-6582

San Diego
Emerald Plaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Aliso Viejo
Ladera Corporate Terrace
999 Corporate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Comments are closed.

Juvenile   Dependency   ResourcesIf you or a family member are facing off with Child Protective Services, Vincent W. Davis is here to help!

View More Resources

Contact   Us — Juvenile   Dependency   Lawyers   —   Vincent   W.   Davis   &   Associates

Please fill out all fields and an DCFS CPS attorney will contact you.