Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 7.20.50 PM

Having represented people in juvenile dependency cases against Child Protective Services (“CPS”, or the Department of Children and Family Services, DCFS, as they are known in Los Angeles County) for almost 30 years, I’ve come to realize something very important which all parents and families should know:  And that is no matter what allegations or charges you are accused of, be they true or false, you should sign up for family reunification services early in the case, and you should attend these services as frequently and as often as possible.

And, please know that your participation in these services is NOT an admission of guilt.  In fact, in my experience, it tends to be a positive thing when the juvenile judge is informed that you are participating in these services.  The negative is that these services will take time out of your schedule, may interfere with work and may cost money.  Another positive about participating early is that it can actually help your case down the road – for example, at the dispositional phase of the case.  In most cases, the dispositional phase is the 3rd or 4th main hearing in the juvenile dependency process.

Now, you can take the position that “I’m being falsely accused”, and/or “I don’t want to participate in these services”;  and that’s ok.  But as an expert in this field, I’m just giving you my professional opinion.  And, this recommendation is bolstered by the fact that in most cases the services are provided to you FREE of charge, or on a LOW cost basis.  At my office, we always try to find the FREE court approved programs for our clients.

So what are family reunification services?  Well, it depends on what the allegations are against you.  Here’s a list of some of the typical services:

1. Parenting Classes – usually for parents who’ve inappropriately physically disciplined their child.

2. Domestic Violence Classes or Counseling – usually for the parents who’ve been involved in physical altercations in front of the children.

3. Drug Rehabilitation or Alcohol Rehabilitation Counseling – usually for the parents who’ve been involved in a Drug or Alcohol addiction that hinders their ability to care for the children.

4. Individual Counseling to address different issues in the case.  An example may be, individual counseling with a licensed therapist to address issues of marital discord within the family, sometimes referred to as Couples Counseling.

5. Sex Abuse Counseling – usually comes into play when a parent has been accused of sexually abusing a child.

6. Drug Testing & Alcohol Testing – usually required when the parent has been accused of using illegal drugs.  TIP:  If you are using marijuana, under current California law you should have a medical marijuana card, if your doctor is so inclined to prescribe the same.

It is extremely important that you consult with an experienced Juvenile Dependency attorney.  You don’t want to agree to things the social worker wants you to do, when they are not warranted in a certain type of case.  For example, the social worker gets involved in a physical abuse case, and then wants the parent to drug test.  In my opinion, the request for drug testing is not supported by California law.

My name is Vincent Davis, and I’m a Juvenile Dependency trial & appellate attorney with almost 30 years experience.  If you’d like to consult with me, please contact my office.  We offer:

1. Free initial consultations, of 20-30 minutes;

2. Case analysis, where I review your case and give you a plan and a strategy to implement with your court appointed attorney;

3. Extended phone, Skype or in person consultations about your case, and what to do and how to do it; and/or

4. Full legal representation as your attorney (we represent people all over the state of California.


When you talk to me, Vincent W. Davis, you can be sure of one thing, that I am listening. Child Protective Services (CPS or DCFS) and your accusers have their story, and it is our job to make sure that your story is heard and we keep your family together. If your kids or grand-kids have already been taken, we will find the best and fastest way to reunite your family.

Call me personally - 888-888-6582 - I am waiting to hear your story now, to defend you and keep your family together or reunite you and your precious loved ones.

We Are Your Juvenile Dependency Lawyers and we are proud to serve    Los Angeles,   Orange,   Riverside,   San Bernardino , Ventura, and  San Diego Counties.


Juvenile Dependency Attorney Locations

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (626)-446-6454

Beverly Hills Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (888) 888-6582

La Mirada Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Los Angeles Office
Gas Company Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Long Beach Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Irvine Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (949)-203-3972

Ontario Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761
Phone:(888) 888-6582

Riverside Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 Pierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (888) 888-6582

San Diego
Emerald Plaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Aliso Viejo
Ladera Corporate Terrace
999 Corporate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Comments are closed.

Juvenile   Dependency   ResourcesIf you or a family member are facing off with Child Protective Services, Vincent W. Davis is here to help!

View More Resources

Contact   Us — Juvenile   Dependency   Lawyers   —   Vincent   W.   Davis   &   Associates

Please fill out all fields and an DCFS CPS attorney will contact you.