Grandparents who care for their grandchildren regularly, because of a court order or their children are unfit, may want to think about getting legal custody. Without legal custody, grandparents may find themselves unable to take advantage of certain benefits their grandchildren may be entitled to or provide proper medical care.

Custody and Visitation Rights Of Grandparents

When a minor child’s nuclear family is in disarray as the result of a divorce or the death of a parent, the custody or visitation of the minor child can become an issue. Fortunately, there is legal precedent of granting custody of minor children to the immediate family members including grandparents.

Before grandparents are “considered,” the court will first attempt to grant custody to the other parent if one parent dies or does not want to retain custody. As you would expect, parents have an automatic first right to raise their children without interference from other relatives or grandparents if the parents are declared fit parents. Society and the courts assume that a fit parent will always act in the better interests of the children.

Grandparents need to demonstrate the value of the Grandparent Relationship

If grandparents desire visitation rights with their grandchildren and the parent with custody objects, grandparents must demonstrate to the court that it would be in the best interests of the grandchildren to have physical contact with the grandparents. Similarly, the court will want you to demonstrate why it would be harmful to the grandchildren’s mental health if they were deprived of physical contact with their grandparents. Also considered is whether there was a pre-existing relationship with the grandchildren before awarding visitation rights to grandparents.

When a grandparent desires to seek custody of their grandchildren, the conditions to meet are very similar to seeking visitation. The grandparents and their attorney need to clearly show the court that it would not be in the best interests of the minor children to remain in custody of the parent and that there are harmful conditions.

Harmful conditions – would be things like abuse or neglect of minor children or drug usage of the parents.

If you desire visitation or custody of your grandchildren, there is no one more experienced in the Juvenile Dependency courts and process than Vincent W. Davis. Call to speak with him personally.

When you talk to me, Vincent W. Davis, you can be sure of one thing, that I am listening. Child Protective Services (CPS or DCFS) and your accusers have their story, and it is our job to make sure that your story is heard and we keep your family together. If your kids or grand-kids have already been taken, we will find the best and fastest way to reunite your family.

Call me personally - 888-888-6582 - I am waiting to hear your story now, to defend you and keep your family together or reunite you and your precious loved ones.

We Are Your Juvenile Dependency Lawyers and we are proud to serve    Los Angeles,   Orange,   Riverside,   San Bernardino , Ventura, and  San Diego Counties.


Juvenile Dependency Attorney Locations

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (626)-446-6454

Beverly Hills Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (888) 888-6582

La Mirada Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Los Angeles Office
Gas Company Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Long Beach Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Irvine Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (888) 888-6582
Fax: (949)-203-3972

Ontario Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761
Phone:(888) 888-6582

Riverside Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 Pierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (888) 888-6582

San Diego
Emerald Plaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Aliso Viejo
Ladera Corporate Terrace
999 Corporate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (888) 888-6582

Juvenile   Dependency   ResourcesIf you or a family member are facing off with Child Protective Services, Vincent W. Davis is here to help!

View More Resources

Contact   Us — Juvenile   Dependency   Lawyers   —   Vincent   W.   Davis   &   Associates

Please fill out all fields and an DCFS CPS attorney will contact you.